In response to the NZTR Venue Plan Consultation Document Avondale Jockey Club provided a submission to the NZTR. Within the submission, AJC made a number of points regarding the sustainability of thoroughbred racing in New Zealand and why more racing should be allocated to Auckland.
A few of the key points include:
- Auckland can and should sustain two high quality metropolitan racecourses
- New Zealand’s largest population base is and will continue to be in Auckland
- Many future owners and syndicate members will come from Auckland
- Avondale’s turf track is one of the best in the country (high quality, consistent, very few abandonments)
- AJC is an important location for both racing and trials in all weather conditions
- The racing industry (NZTR) does not and has not provided financial support for racing at this venue
To read AJC’s submission in full, click here.