For the past five years, Avondale Jockey Club has been working with an internationally renowned racecourse consultancy firm to review the Club’s racing operations and develop a blueprint to guide the future development of racing facilities at Avondale.
We know we can’t stay the same; we have to move with the times, update our venue and facilities, and plan for an even more exciting future. Our plan will ensure Avondale is able to provide regular, high quality horse racing and continue to offer a range of sporting, cultural and recreational activities to support the Avondale and West Auckland communities.
We can self-fund the redevelopment of Avondale Racecourse to deliver a modern and attractive facility, ancillary to that of Ellerslie, and suitable for racing and trialling in all weather conditions on either the existing excellent turf track or a new synthetic track in the existing infield.
We are ready to turn this plan into reality. Over the course of the redevelopment we plan to:
- Retain and continue to use the existing high quality turf track for thoroughbred racing
- Develop a new synthetic track in the racecourse infield for racing and trialling, benefitting the industry throughout the North Island
- Develop, lease or sell parcels of commercial and residential zoned land within the AJC’s existing landholdings, to provide high quality urban development near the heart of Avondale
- Demolish unattractive and not-fit-for-purpose facilities
- Redevelop the Ash Street entrance and frontage to present an attractive streetfront
- Renovate, reorganise and consolidate facilities within the site to provide a more practical, attractive and modern facility for the needs of today’s racing participants
- Modernise associated racing buildings, infrastructure and other facilities within the site, to provide a better race-day experience for all participants – spectators, owners, trainers, jockeys and horses
- Retain and enhance the Racecourse infield for continued use by the local community, including for sportsfields and outdoor events
- Continue to provide a venue for the iconic Avondale Sunday Markets